What a fun day I had! Basically I just had my hands on the molecular cooking again! I don’t know if I am getting addicted to it now but I think I will make more experiment in the future. For today’s Royal Selangor – Get Your Jelly On– 30-day Challenge, I have something really interesting called pandan spaghetti & strawberry agar agar. I think, what I really love about this dish is the pandan spaghetti! With my first attempt of agar form of spaghetti, I can see that I am going to use this method more in the future.
I got my spaghetti kit a few weeks ago and I have to say that I have been having fun using it! I chose pandan because I love its vibrant green colour and of course its fragrant. I prepared the pandan juice and used agar agar in the mixture. Then, draw the juice into the syringe and inject into all the tubes before chilling in an ice bath. It’s hard to describe my reaction when the spaghetti was set and ready to action!
As for the strawberry agar agar, there are 2 layers – chopped strawberries in vanilla scented syrup and the bottom layer is strawberry puree. I used the Royal Selangor Pewter Jelly Mould to make this beautiful 2 layer agar agar with different texture. I hope you will love this agar agar!
I have also summarised all the dishes that I have made so far for this challenge. Which one do you like best?
Pandan Spaghetti & Strawberry Agar Agar
Yield: 2 persons
For pandan spaghetti:
4 pandan leaves, roughly chopped
2 tbsp sugar
2g agar agar
For strawberry in vanilla syrup:
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 drops red colouring
2g agar agar
3 strawberries, chopped
For strawberry purée:
20 strawberries, trimmed
3g agar agar
1. To make the pandan spaghetti, put the pandan leaves in a food processor and add 3 tbsp of water and blend until smooth. Strain through fine sieve and press the juice, discard the solid. Put the pandan juice in a saucepan, add the remaining water and the sugar. Bring to the boil, then add the agar agar. Stir until dissolves. Transfer to a jar or bowl.
2. Draw the sauce into the syringe and inject into the tubes then placed in an ice water bath for 10 minutes or so to speed up setting. Once the spaghetti is set, push it out using the syringe filled with water onto a plate. Set aside.
3. To make the strawberry vanilla syrup, add the water, vanilla essence and red colouring. Bring to the boil, add the agar agar. Stir until dissolves. Put the chopped strawberries into the jelly mould, press until they are compact. Carefully spoon the vanilla syrup into the mould until 3/4 full. Put in the fridge to chill and set.
4. Once the strawberry vanilla agar is set. Prepare the strawberry purée. Put the strawberries in a food process and blend into a smooth paste. Transfer to a saucepan, bring to the boil over low heat. Add the agar agar, stir to combine and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Spoon into the jelly mould until full. Put in the fridge to chill and set.
5. To serve, remove the strawberry agar from the mould put on a serving plate. Carefully transfer the pandan spaghetti and place around the strawberry agar.