As the weather is getting colder, I like to make something that is tasty and warms up my body. As a great fan of noodles, I never give a bowl of clear noodles soup a miss. This bowl of clear noodles soup brings back all my childhood memories. I remember helping my mom in the kitchen making the chicken stock and all the ingredients that go with the noodles.
Mom is always my primary source of inspiration. I do, from time to time, try to think of what I miss and what mom used to make when I was young. And today, it’s that same kind of smile I put on my face when I enjoyed this special bowl of clear noodles soup.
This time, I slightly tweaked the recipe for clear noodles soup. I added some vegetables (as substitutes) in the chicken stock and shall I say that I didn’t make the chicken stock from scratch as my mom does. I got the chicken stock from the supermarket. In fact, there are a few other ingredients that I didn’t put. So, I just make do with what I have to satisfy the craving for a good bowl of clear soup noodles.
For the Noodle Soup:
1 l chicken stock
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 tbsp sunflower oil
300g prawns, shelled and deveined
200g rice vermicelli
50g bean sprouts
50g green beans, halved
1 hard boiled egg, sliced
1 tsp spring onion, chopped
2 tsp fried shallots (optional)
1. Put the chicken stock in a big sauce pan and bring to a slight boil. Put in the carrot and cook until soft. Meanwhile, in a pan, put the oil and pan fried the prawns until turn pink. Set aside.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, cook the rice vermicelli for 2-3 minutes until softened. Drain the noodles using a slotted spoon and set aside. Blanch the bean sprouts for a few seconds, drain and set aside.
3. Add the green beans and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Once the carrot and green beans are softened, drain using a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Divide equal portion of rice vermicelli into individual bowls. Add prawns, bean sprouts and hard boil egg. Bring the stock to the boil, ladle into the bowl, enough to cover the vermicelli and all the ingredients.
5. Sprinkle over the spring onion and fried shallots, if using.