It has been a busy week.. plus it was my birthday 3 days ago! Ahh.. getting another year older.. ops!!! Anyway, we should have gone out for dinner but the restaurant was fully booked even if we booked it a month before my birthday! However, we managed to reserve a table for 2 next Friday! I am so looking forward to dine in this restaurant, which I will tell you all about it next week! 🙂
It was also exactly 2 years ago on the 28th October that my food blog was named My Cooking Hut. So, indirectly, it was kind of like a 2 year anniversary for My Cooking Hut 3 days ago, how cool is that?
Just a day before my birthday, I baked a lot of Triple Chocolate Brownies and Madeleines to share them with my work colleagues. They absolutely loved the brownies and madeleines!! I came back with empty boxes which was a good sign and received good feedback from them, which made me feel really flattered! 🙂
Today, I am going to share a very easy dish. It’s stuffed tofu with pork. Tofu is of Chinese origin, but it’s widely used in other Asian countries too. It has very little flavour on its own, thus, to make an interesting tofu dish, the accompanied ingredients are really important. There are many types of tofu; silken tofu, firm tofu, and dried tofu, which are commonly used in Asian kitchen.
This time, I pair tofu with minced pork. Instead of using minced pork as an ingredient in the sauce, I have opted to stuff minced pork in the tofu. Then, dress stuffed tofu with some vegetables in a light sauce. It is extremely easy to get this done for a healthy dinner.
Stuffed Tofu with Pork
4 square blocks, firm tofu, cut into triangles
3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
200g minced pork
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tsp corn flour
1 carrot, diced
1 small courgette/zuchinni, diced
a pinch of white pepper
4-5 tbsp water
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1. Cut tofu into equal triangles. Using a knife, carefully cut around the edges of the long side of triangle. Make the incision slightly more than half way through the tofu. Make sure you don’t cut through.
2. Use a teaspoon to remove the tofu from the middle of each triangle. Be very careful to keep the pouch intact. Set aside the tofu that is take out from the middle.
3. In small bowl, mix minced pork, tofu crumb, oyster sauce, soya sauce, white pepper, sesame oil, and corn flour.
4. With a teaspoon, scoop the filling and stuff in to the middle part of the tofu as much as you could fit in. Shape the stuffing with your hands. Repeat this to the rest of the tofu pieces.
5. Heat up a pan with oil enough to pan fry, pan fry each side of the tofu until golden brown. It takes about 15- 20 minutes to brown each piece of tofu and cook through the stuffing. Once all cooked, set tofu aside.
6. Use back the same pan, drizzle some oil, put in the chopped garlic and cook until fragrant and slightly brown. Then, put in carrots and courgette/zucchini. Add in the sauce and cook until tender. Add in more water if necessary.
7. Add back the cooked tofu to warm up. Coat tofu with the sauce. Sprinkle some chili flakes if you wish. Serve warm.