It was probably a month ago that I was drooling over some muffins in a magazine. The muffins that look so yummy that I wished I could take one of them off the book and have it with a cup of black tea or soya milk.
Just a few days ago, I saw a book that contains 100 muffin recipes by Susanna Tee. Yes, it’s the title – 1 Mix, 100 Muffins that caught my attention. Also, the price was tempting £5 (approx. $9.99) for a more than 200 pages cookbook. I got the final copy off the shelf from Marks and Spencer.
This book is full of muffin ideas! From sweet to savoury. The beauty of this book is that every single recipe is based on the Basic Muffin Mix. As soon as this is mastered, you can put just about anything in the muffin! So, you’d probably be able to come out with other ideas than those mentioned in the book.
In this book, each recipe is accompanied by nicely styled and shot picture. That’s what I like about it! Just before I attempt the recipes, I’ll be able to know what they may look like.
What’s more? In this book on page 9, it’s the section that gives top tips for perfect muffin, which I thought I would share with you all.
- Always preheat the oven and resist the temptation of opening the oven door during cooking.
- Measure out the ingredients accurately, using the appropriate scales and measuring spoons.
- Don’t be tempted to add more baking powder, thinking the muffins will rise more. Too much will cause them to over-rise and then collapse and the muffins will be heavy.
- Don’t over-mix the mixture as this will cause the muffins to be tough with a compact texture. The ingredients should just be moistened and the mixture lumpy with still a few traces of flour.
- Once you’ve made the mixture, bake it immediately as when the liquid has been added to the flour, the baking powder starts to work by relaxing the dough and allowing it to rise.
- Don’t over-bake the muffins as they will become dry.
This afternoon, I made Marbled Chocolate muffins. They are delicious and nice looking. I can’t wait to try the next recipe in the book!